Park Rangers sweep twin bill with Bomb Squad
WESTFIELD, Ind. – The Academy Park Rangers took home a doubleheader sweep of the Huston Bomb Squad on Tuesday due to some outstanding pitching and some timely hitting throughout the lineup to move back into third place in the Grand Park College Summer League.
With the victory the Park Rangers improve to 11-9-1 while the Bomb Squad falls to 10-11.
• INF Damon Dues (Wright State) got the Park Rangers on the board in the third inning with a triple down the right field line that brought around OF’s Wes Gingerich (Purdue) and Gabe Wright (State College of Florida) to score.
• RHP Drew Conn (Grand View) threw a gem in the first game on Tuesday afternoon. After falling behind early, he retired the final 14 batters of the game to earn the first complete game victory of the season for the Park Rangers.
• With the game tied in the top of the 7th inning, C Cade Vota (Butler) singled into left field to bring around OF’s Peyton Henry (John A. Logan) and Wright to give the Park Rangers the lead.
• INF Clay Conn (Illinois-Chicago) hit a sac-fly to bring around Vota and extend the lead to three going into the final frame.
• OF Caleb Vaughn (Indianapolis) got the offense started early in the second game of the doubleheader. His single through the right side plated Clay Conn and gave the Park Rangers and SP Aiden Bradbury (Cincinnati) the lead.
• Bradbury set the tone early on the mound by striking out five batters in his first two innings of work while topping out at 90 MPH.
• Vaughn gave the Park Rangers the lead back in the fifth with a sac-fly to bring around C Brooks Sailors (Purdue-Fort Wayne) to score.
• The Park Rangers plated three in the seventh inning to give them some insurance runs. Clay Conn’s emphatic triple to score Dues dashed any hope of a Bomb Squad comeback in the final innings.
• RHP’s E.J. White (DePauw) and Terry Busse (John A. Logan) were dominant out of the bullpen. They combined for 4.0 IP, 0 R and 7 K’s as the Park Rangers saw out a 7-2 win and doubleheader sweep.
• The Park Rangers were hit with six pitches on Tuesday. Clay Conn was hit by four while INF Parker Harrison (Wright State) was hit by two.
• Dues went 5-8 with 2 RBI’s in the doubleheader on Tuesday.
• INF Brayden Hazelwood (IU-Southeast) now has five hits over his past three games.
• The Park Rangers staff threw 16 innings while striking out 21 batters and giving up just three runs.
• The Park Rangers are back in action on Sunday night at Championship Park in Kokomo for the fifth matchup of the season with the Pro X Pace Snapping Turtles.