Park Rangers sweep doubleheader with Local Legends
WESTFIELD, Ind.- The Academy Park Rangers extended their winning streak to five games after a doubleheader sweep of the Edge Rock Local Legends on Monday afternoon.
With the victory, the Park Rangers move to 16-11-1 while the Local Legends fall to 13-16.
- After taking over for RHP Aiden Bradbury (Cincinnati) who left the game injured, LHP Jalen Cardinal (Eastern Illinois) forced a groundout to escape the jam in the first inning.
- The Park Rangers got on the board in the fourth inning. OF Peyton Henry (John A. Logan) doubled to bring home INF Cameron French (Southwestern Oklahoma State).
- INF Anthony Fornero followed that up with a two-run single up the middle to extend the Park Ranger lead to 3-1.
- Three more runs came around to score in the fifth inning after a Gabe Wright (State College of Florida) flyball was dropped by the Local Legends centerfielder.
- In the bottom of the seventh inning, RHP E.J. White (DePauw) came in relief and struckout Mark Goudy to preserve the 7-6 Park Rangers win.
- INF Parker Harrison (Wright State) started the offense early with a single up the middle to bring around INF Clay Conn (Illinois-Chicago) to score.
- In the third inning, INF Brayden Hazelwood (IU-Southeast) tripled home two runs while scoring on the throw to third to extend the Park Rangers lead to 4-0.
- Despite giving up a homerun in the fifth, RHP Sam Fulton (Uncommitted) struck out the side to get out of the inning with a three-run lead.
- The Park Rangers tagged on three runs in the sixth inning to open the lead to five runs entering the seventh.
- White came in for his third appearance in 24 hours with two outs in the seventh to close down the Park Rangers fifth straight win.
- Fulton (4-2) struckout nine batters over 6.2 innings after throwing over 120 pitches on Monday night.
- White struckout two batters over an inning of work after throwing two innings on Sunday night.
- Hazelwood recorded three RBI’s while Fornero added two RBI’s of his own.
- Conn had three hits during Monday’s doubleheader.
- The Park Rangers are back in action on Sunday night for the regular season finale against the McGonigal Bag Bandits.